'ello 'ello

Welcome to MuMuMunchies :) This little project was created basically to be a Chocolate Music Factory, where every week we will be unwrapping what we think are the most delicious snacks you'd rather listen to. Here's what the weekly flavours are:

Marshmallow Mondays (Alternative & Indie)

Chewy Tuesdays (Dubstep & Electro)

Twirly Thursdays (Trance)

Fat Fridays (Rap & Hip Hop)

Old Gold Sundays (Classics)


We hope you enjoy the music and that they'll satisfy your Munchies :)


Sunday 1 April 2012

Old Gold #1 : Gabriel & Dresden + Spoon


Hey guys it's the first edition of Old Gold. I started this thread because I actually wanted to share with you guys the music that first got me listening to trance/hip hop/electro. I just love the feeling of listening to an old song that brings back memories; whether it be that one moment at a festival or just from that time you were chilling with your friends.


I'm gonna start off with trance, then let Pete take over later to talk about one of his favourite bands, Spoon.


I first started listening to trance around year 9 or 10. That would be 2005. One of my friends showed this song to me and I didn't even know it was trance until around 1 or 2 years later as she had just told me it was 'doof doof'. None of that mattered back then anyway.


This is a beautiful track and it's a shame that Gabriel & Dresden don't make music like this any more, considering since after they returned from a hiatus their sound had changed dynamically. That's expected though as trance has also changed it's sound hugely from 2005 as well.
This stuff is what trance was like for awhile, haunting vocals, soft kicks and synths but the iconic trance build up is always constant. This is what got me into listening trance and through that first song I had went and looked up more Gabriel & Dresden songs which brings me to this:

This is the stuff that I kick back to on a Sunday when the rest of the weekend was just too hectic.
That's it for me guys I hope you enjoyed this week's Old Gold. Keep scrolling through as Pete's up next!

Extra:



Hey guys, Pretzel Pete here with a 'spoonful' of a post… See what I did there? hur hur hur. So I've listened to these guys for a while now and what keeps me doing so is their manipulation of a broad range of instruments, Britt Daniel's voice (not to mention respect points for producing another one of my top bands, the White Rabbits' It's Frightening) and just in general, their laid back style.


Additionally to this Old Gold album, I also recommend you check out their two latest, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Transference. After a quick search of their previous music, it turned out their Kill the Moonlight album (2002) was ranked at #51 on Rolling Stone’s “100 best albums of the decade” and #23 on Billboard’s ”Top Independent Albums of 2002” so what better way to finish the first Old Gold than with Spoon? 


First flavour of the pack we have the catchy The Way We Get By. Probably my favourite of the album – it’s catchy, carefree and was featured on first season of The O.C!

This next one was inspired by a bully Daniels knew, turns out the song was so good “Jonathon Fisk” started going to their shows too:

The catchy piano in this one will be lingering on your tastebuds for days to come…

Paper Tigers is different from the rest but nevertheless it just makes me want to chuck this album on my ipod even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment